So, you think you know Scotland?
Learn more about our scotland through weekly questions
1.Who was Mrs Brown in the eponymous film starring Billy Connolly and Judi Dench?
a. Glasgow housewife
b. gangster’s moll
c. Queen Victoria
2. Which well known family firm is based in Fochabers, Moray?
3. What is the ‘Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh’?
a. Scottish song
b. Scottish tree
c. Scottish dance
4. Which of the following songs did a Scot compose?
a. ‘Waltzing Matilda’
b. ‘Country Roads’
c. ‘La Marseillaise’
Written by Banjo Paterson, ‘Waltzing Matilda’ is one of Australia’s most popular folk songs and is thought by many to have been based on the Scottish song ‘Thou Bonnie Wood of Craigielea’ written by Scotsman Robert Tannahill in 1805.
5. A member of which Scottish family reputedly blew £4 million in gambling and sired 398 illegitimate children?
6. What in Shetland is ‘reestit mutton’?
b. type of oatcake
c. salt-cured sheep
7. Where is the ‘Scottish Poetry Library’?
a. Glasgow University
The ‘Scottish Poetry Library’ is located off the Canongate in Edinburgh and forms part of the redevelopment area close to the new Scottish Parliament. It houses a unique collection Of poetry from all over the world and events take place throughout the year.
8. How many First Ministers were there in the first four years of the new Scottish Parliament?
9. caused the Royal Oak battleship to sink in Scapa Flow in 1939?
b. German U boats
10. What is unusual about a ‘dry stane dyke’?
a. made without mortar
b. made of wood
c. covered in moss